Gluten-Free Meatballs Stroganoff

I know a recipe is good when my husband goes back for seconds. Meatballs Stroganoff is such a recipe.

Where did I come across such a wonderful new recipe? You guessed it: Pinterest. The original recipe comes from Menu Musings and utilizes frozen meatballs and egg noodles. But because I had to make it gluten-free, I could use neither of those items.

What follows are some tips for making Meatballs Stroganoff gluten-free. The original recipe is sort of ... casual, shall I say. Almost haphazard, but in a good way because it's meant to be an easy weeknight meal and a you-don't-have-to-think-too-hard-about-it meal. So when I was coming up with my gluten-free version, I, too, had to take a "let's just throw it together and see what happens" approach.

Instead of frozen meatballs, I made my own meatballs using the Real Simple Easy Meatballs recipe I posted about awhile ago. (Instead of using two pounds of ground beef, I used about 1 pound and made 12 meatballs for this recipe and another 12 to freeze and use later.) I also used gluten-free fettucini noodles because they are flatter and closer to the shape of an egg noodle than spaghetti.

I also used heavy cream, but I just read in Real Simple that you can substitute non-fat evaporated milk for heavy cream in a recipe to make the recipe healthier. Yeah, well. Healthy? Whatever.

I also added chopped mushrooms because, I mean, you can't have Stroganoff without mushrooms!

Everything else I kept the same.

The end result was really good. I think I could have let the sauce cook a little more because it wasn't as thick as I wanted, but I had already put the noodles in, and I didn't want them to overcook in the sauce. Next time I will keep that in mind before adding the noodles.


Comments