Gluten-Free Chicky Chicky Parm Parm Casserole

Chicken Parmesan is my husband's favorite meal. He's usually the one who cooks it because I hate cooking with chicken breasts. But then I saw this Chicken Parmesan Casserole recipe that was "slimmed down" to be Weight Watchers appropriate, and I thought, "Hey! Let's try it out!"

Of course, because I had to adapt the recipe to make it gluten-free, I had to change the name of the recipe, too. If you're a fan of Parks and Recreation, then you'll totally get the name Chicky Chicky Parm Parm.

Essentially, this recipe is naturally gluten-free: chicken breasts cut up, pasta sauce, mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, basil, red pepper flakes (optional), and minced garlic. It does call for croutons, but I didn't put those in mine because I forgot to pick up gluten-free croutons at Whole Foods and our local grocery store didn't carry gluten-free croutons. I'm not sure what this tastes like with croutons, so I can't comment on that, but we did really enjoy this. And cooking cut up chicken in the oven is so much easier than trying to cook a whole chicken breast!

Also, as you can see from the picture, I added gluten-free fettucini. I'm sure that adds calories and Weight Watcher points, but my husband really wanted this with pasta. I couldn't say no.

The original recipe serves 8, so I cut it in half. I have no idea how to measure grated parmesan cheese in ounces, so I just used enough to cover the top of the casserole. Also, if you don't want to use a whole clove of garlic, just substitute 1/4 tsp of minced garlic. And because I halved this recipe, the size of the baking dish and the cooking time got cut in half.

Did I miss anything else? If you have questions about adapting this recipe to make it gluten-free, just leave me a message in the comments!


Comments