Gluten-Free Chicken Enchiladas - Freezer Meal

Dear Pinterest, Thank you so much for helping me find such great freezer meals. Here's one that was cross-posted on SixSistersStuff.com from SimpleOrganizedLiving.com: Chicken Enchiladas!

This recipe literally did make 20 enchiladas. And I made all of them at once. I placed five of them in a baking dish that I placed in the fridge so we could have them the next day. For the rest, I individually wrapped the enchiladas in foil and placed four to five of them in a freezer bag. Right now I have three freezer bags filled with enchiladas sitting in my freezer just waiting for us to eat them. If we only want to make two at a time, we can just take out two. If we want more, we've got more. I really like that!!

The original post recommended putting the enchiladas in baking dishes and freezing them in the baking dishes. But I don't have a surplus of baking dishes, and I didn't want what I do have to be occupied if I needed them. I suppose you could purchase those cheap aluminum baking dishes, but I think my freezer bag idea will work out just fine.

Of course, I needed to adapt this recipe to make it gluten-free. The biggest change was using corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. The corn tortillas are always smaller than the flour tortillas, so be careful to not overfill the tortilla or it won't wrap very well and it might tear.

Also, make sure you read the labels for all of the other ingredients: enchilada sauce, taco seasoning, etc. We usually make our own taco seasoning but because we needed three packets of seasoning and I didn't know how much of our own mix to make for that, I just purchased Ortega brand. I like that brand because it labels its corn tortillas as gluten-free, and there doesn't appear to be anything bad in the seasoning packets. We used Old El Paso Mild Enchilada sauce. I read the label and it looked okay.

Comments