Baked Penne with Chicken

I've been on a real freezer meal kick lately, in case you haven't noticed. So I've got another for you that I discovered via Pinterest. It's actually a Martha Stewart recipe, which I didn't realize until I looked up the link again to make this blog post. I don't know if I've ever made a Martha recipe because usually they are kind of hard. But this one was easy, so yay!

Here are my adaptations:
1. The original recipe calls for mushrooms and sundried tomatoes. I forgot to purchase mushrooms and we don't like sundried tomatoes. So we just left those out.

2. I halved the recipe to make four servings and then divided the four servings into two eight-inch by eight-inch baking dishes. I made this on a Tuesday night because I didn't have time to do it on Sunday. I put one of the baking dishes in the fridge to eat on Wednesday and then put the other in the freezer.

3. Of course, you'll need to use gluten-free penne and gluten-free all-purpose flour. (I like Bob's Red Mill.)

4. I'm not really sure what it means when it says "cook chicken until opaque." What does opaque chicken look like? The outside of my chicken was starting to brown but the inside was still pink! I find that whenever I cook chicken, it's just easiest to cut it up into bite-size chunks and cook it in a little bit of EVOO in a skillet. It cooks much more evenly. I basically cooked it until all sides were white, and then when I baked it in the oven, it cooked through all the way so there was no pink. (I HATE cooking with chicken.)

Anyway, so that's my latest freezer meal conquest. We've still got chicken enchiladas in the freezer that we break out every so often for a quick meal. Yummy!

Comments