Mom's Macaroni and Cheese

I finally decided to try a new recipe in our Betty Crocker Cooking Basics cookbook. Usually, if we have macaroni and cheese, we have Trader Joe's gluten-free boxed version. It's cheap and easy to make. However, our grocery store had some gluten-free elbow macaroni on sale last week and we stocked up, so I figured making our own macaroni and cheese with the elbow macaroni would be a good idea.

This is essentially a baked mac and cheese. We have another recipe for baked mac and cheese, but it uses lots of ingredients. Mom's Macaroni and Cheese is much simpler, but it does take 40 minutes to make. Not exactly something that you want to make on a weeknight, although we did and we didn't eat dinner until 7:45. Should have read through the entire recipe first to see what we were dealing with, huh?

The end result was good. Very creamy. The recipe called for a block of American cheese, but I couldn't find that at my grocery store. So we just went with a block of cheddar. I like cheddar better anyway. The recipe also called for an onion. Uh, no thanks. Not in my mac and cheese!

What's great about this recipe is that you can spice things up to make it different each time. As I was stirring the macaroni into the cheese mixture, I thought that some chili powder would be a nice kick. What do you add to your homemade mac and cheese?

Comments