I was excited to have time on Sunday to make a nice dinner, even though my husband and I ate separately due to different schedules. I'm so glad that the busyness is over with! I tore this recipe out of the March 2012 Real Simple. Here is the link to the recipe on Real Simple's website. Because I needed to make this gluten-free, I changed it up a bit.
1. Instead of all-purpose flour, I used Bob's Red Mill all-purpose gluten-free flour.
2. Instead of whole milk, I used 2 percent. (That has nothing to do with being gluten-free. I just didn't feel like buying another thing of milk.)
3. Instead of egg noodles, I used Scharr gluten-free tagliatelle pasta. Tagliatelle sort of has a flat and long egg noodle shape. And because I couldn't find gluten-free egg noodles, the tagliatelle was the best choice.
4. I poached two chicken breasts to use in this recipe.
5. Instead of bread crumbs, I tried a new thing I saw at the grocery store - rice crumbs. They didn't brown up as much as I would have liked, but they were still decent.
It was very creamy. And apparently it holds up well when reheated in the microwave. That's how my husband ate it when he got home. Can't wait because we're having it as leftovers tomorrow night!