Getting Scrappy with... Missy!

click here to view in Missy's Scrapbook.com gallery
Welcome to the FIRST Getting Scrappy with... of 2012! We are starting the year off with Missy Whidden. Missy is the Weekend Warm-Up Coach at ScrapFIT and a design team member of Sweet Peach Crop Shop, Paper Thrills, and Challenge Me Happy.You can find out more about Missy when you visit her blog, Little Nugget Creations. She's also got a large gallery over at Scrapbook.com with lots of great-looking scrapbook layouts, so check that out, too! But first, let's get to know Missy a little bit better.


What are your favorite scrapbook manufacturers?
 I love Echo Park, American Crafts, My Mind's Eye, and DCWV. I love all brands, though, and tend to gravitate towards the patterns and colors rather than the manufacturer.

When did you start scrapping?
The summer of 2006 right before my oldest daughter was born.

Why do you scrap?
I love preserving memories, and I love being creative! I love the photography aspect and the challenge of making photos work in a layout.

How has your style evolved over the years? 
Oh, gosh! I used to just use deco scissors and stickers on every page! As time passed, I discovered inks, distressing...even simple things, like ribbon, brads,  and flowers. Once I got my Cricut, I discovered a whole new scrapbooking world! Now I have so many gadgets and trinkets. I never would have thought to use something like bubble wrap as a stamp five years ago! Just visiting blogs and seeing others' work has helped me realize what kinds of materials are out there.

Where else do you get your creative inspiration?
From others' work and blogs, and also from my photos. I love working with challenges and sketches, as well.

Do you have a favorite technique that you use on layouts or something that you think of as your signature?
I love distressing and inking the edges of almost everything. I also like to use buttons with twine tied in a bow on them.

How often do you scrap about yourself (or scrap pictures that you are in)?
Hardly ever! I ususally scrap photos of my girls, and sometimes I might be in a photo or two. My new scrappy goal is to scrap more about myself!

Where is your favorite place to scrap?
My craft room is my favorite place to scrap. I am able to leave things out in progress on my desk, so I'm scrapping throughout the day when I have moments here and there. I also scrap after the kids are in bed.

click here to view in Missy's Scrapbook.com gallery
My scrap room is actually our formal dining room. I have my big IKEA desk with my computer and the supplies that I use all the time - pens, ink, glue, etc. I have two big 5x5 cubby shelves against the wall that hold all my paper stacks and other supplies. I have a smaller table that holds my photo printer and Cricut. I have two cubes with six drawers on top of a filing cabinet, and a smaller wooden shelf that holds all my smaller things, like bling, small punches, some flowers, buttons, etc. I love having my own scrap cave!

Any tips on keeping all those scrap supplies organized?
I try to organize my papers by collections and color. Random papers are by color. I have so many loose sheets from random collections! I try to clean up my desk after every few pages and put everything back in its proper place. This helps me start my next page fresh. I also keep all my border punches in a door-hanging shoe rack. That way I can see them all and they don't take up shelf space.

Do you have any other crafty hobbies?
I enjoy altering picture frames or other things, like shadow boxes.

For blog readers who may live in the same area as you, are there any local scrapbook stores that you can recommend? 
I live in a super small town, and we have no local scrappy stores! Michael's is about it, and it's about 30 minutes away. A Hobby Lobby is coming soon to a town about 45 minutes away! I'm super excited!

Well, I just found out that you can order online at ArchiversAnnex.com, which is great because I don't have one of those stores near me! What are some scrapbook items that you really, really want right now?
More Cricut cartridges and more paper collections!

***
Big thanks to Missy for being part of Cook Scrap Craft this week! Come back on Wednesday to see how Missy inspired me (and how she can inspire you). In the meantime, don't forget to visit Little Nugget Creations and Missy's Scrapbook.com gallery.







Comments