It's Freezing!

Whenever fruit goes on sale 2/$5 or buy one get one free, my husband buys it. Therefore, we now have blueberries and strawberries hanging out in our freezer just waiting to be made into smoothies. We froze them for a variety of reasons: to make them last longer, to act as "ice" in the smoothies b/c our Magic Bullet Blender doesn't chop up regular ice cubes very well.

I know that we're nearing the end of summer (can you believe it's August already?) but it's still smoothie season. (Is it ever NOT smoothie season?) So here's what you gotta do if you're planning on freezing your berries. Localfoods.com was an informative website that helped me out. I remembered an episode of Good Eats with Alton Brown where he placed blueberries on a baking sheet to freeze them, and I wanted to double check that my memory served me correctly. I was right - or Alton Brown was right. Rinse the berries under cold water, remove any stems, and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. (Make sure the baking sheet fits in your freezer.) After a couple hours, when the berries are frozen, you can transfer them to a freezer bag. I did the same thing with strawberries, although you have to cut those up first.

This also works with other berries, and you can use them in smoothies or even in baking. So tell me, what's your favorite type of smoothie?

Comments

  1. I always wondered what the purpose of layout them flat on the pan was...because we go blueberry picking every year and pick up about 10 lbs of berries. I throw them into plastic freezer containers (which are not flat) and freeze. When I need blueberries, I can pour them out from the containers. Hmmm.....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment