Thank Goodness for the Internet

How did people cook back in the day without the Internet? It must have been pretty hard, especially if you go to make a recipe and you realize you don't have two of the ingredients. That's what happened to me over the weekend when I went to make gluten-free blueberry muffins. I thought I had gotten everything I needed at the grocery store, but I forgot to get more butter and plain yogurt. Without the Internet, I wouldn't have been able to make the muffins. But I did have the Internet, so I just did a search for substitutions and found out that I could use shortening instead of butter and sour cream instead of the yogurt. Lucky me I had shortening and sour cream so that's what I used and the muffins turned out great. Happy ending.

Have you guys ever been in a similar situation? My Betty Crocker Cooking Basics cookbook also has a section of easy substitutions. Does your cookbook? What are some helpful hints you've learned from your cookbook or from Google? Share them with us in the comments. You never know. Your helpful cooking tip might show up in someone's emergency Google search!

Comments