Getting Scrappy With...

Welcome to another installment of Getting Scrappy With! This month we are getting scrappy with another very talented scrapbooker, Jana Eubank. As with most of these featured scrappers, I discovered Jana's work through Scrapbook.com. You should totally check out her gallery to see her wonderful scrappy creations. She also has a fun blog, aptly titled JanaEubank.com, where she showcases her work and occasionally hosts giveaways. Jana has been on several design teams, including Pink Paislee, My Mind’s Eye, Zva Creative, and Cricut Circle. She was also the design team coordinator for Noel Mignon.com (where you can find super awesome scrapbook kits). Once you check out Jana's work, you'll see why she's so in demand with these design teams. Her work is awesome! I need to learn how to layer like she does. So let's get to know Jana a little bit better, shall we?
click here to view this in Jana's Scrapbook.com gallery
Through all your design team work, you've gotten to work with product from some great manufacturers. What are some of your favorites?
I love them all, but my most favorite ones are My Mind’s Eye, Pink Paislee, Crate Paper, Sassafras Lass, October Afternoon, Cosmo Cricket, and Collage Press.
Where do you get your creative inspiration?
My main inspiration comes with the products I am working with, but I also adore looking at color combinations found in interior design, children’s clothing and wedding blogs.
Do you have a favorite technique that you use on layouts or something that you think of as your signature?
I don’t know about having a signature technique. But there are a few things I really love to do on most of my pages. I love to sand the edges of my photos, ink my paper edges with dark brown ink, add a horizontal grounding line of some sort in my design, and have a dimensional title. I also LOVE using dark brown cardstock as my “neutral” and when I’m feeling like a page needs “something” I’ll usually add buttons, a pop of random color, or a circle element.


When did you first get into scrapping?
My “first” scrapbook was back in junior high where I kept special pictures and notes from my friends and family. I continued to maintain a book of some sort all the way through college. As I got married and began my family, I continued to scrapbook and record our memories. I am so grateful that I did that because now we have a complete “history” of our lives together. I became more serious about scrapbooking as an art form about four years ago. As a mother of young children, I discovered the enjoyment and fulfillment it gave me as an individual. It was my creative outlet . . . it was something that I could do for ME. Yet at the same time I was proud that the end result was something my family cherished as well.
Is that the main reason why you scrap?
I scrapbook because I love everything about it! It satisfies my need to create and to do something of importance for my family.
You scrap your family a lot but does that include scrapping about yourself? 
I am terrible about getting out from behind the camera. I need to be better about that. Really. It’s definitely my weakest scrapbook topic. I think I scrapbook about myself only 4 or 5 times a year. 


Well we certainly see you through the creative aspect of your layouts. How has your style evolved over the years?
In the beginning I was very much a cutesy scrapper. I loved all the seasonal die-cuts and building my own paper-piecings. After that I fell in love with Becky Higgins and her classic, cardstock-only style. I took a break from scrapping during the nature-inspired, collage-y trend, but came back full-force after that and discovered the joy of layering and playing with patterned papers.
Where is your favorite place to scrap? 
My favorite place to be is in my scrap room. You can find me there all hours of the day, but my favorite time to work is first thing in the morning or late at night when the house is quiet.
click here to view this in Jana's Scrapbook.com gallery
What does your scrap room look like?
We built our own home two years ago and I was able to design my own space from scratch. I love it! I have cream, distressed cabinetry and a light, muted teal on the walls.
That sounds wonderful! Any tips on keeping all those scrap supplies organized?
My favorite scrapbooking organization tool is the 12 x 12 Iris Snap Close cases. I use them for everything! I store my alphabet stickers in them by color, store my scrapbook kits in them, and sort my supplies by manufacturer in them. I love that I can put paper and embellishments in them and store them vertically on a shelf. I use them to store all the supplies I am using for specific projects, as well as finished layouts that haven’t been put into scrapbooks yet. I use them to sort types of supplies, like scrappy tools and their supplies, flowers, felt, chipboard . . . you name it, I use them for it! They also come in handy for storing mini albums alongside my other 12 x 12 albums.
Those sound great. I should look into getting some! Thanks so much for sharing that tip and for being a part of Cook Scrap Craft this week!
***
Don't forget to check out Jana's Scrapbook.com gallery, as well as her website/blog for more inspiration and insight. And come back later in the week for more from Jana right here on Cook Scrap Craft!




Comments

  1. I'm a big fan of Jana's too! Thanks for interviewing her!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment