Comfort Food

Okay, I admit it doesn't look like much from that picture (I'm working on my food photography skills) but American Shepherd's Pie is AMAZING. I had never made it before, but many years ago I found the recipe for it on AllRecipes.com. I loved shepherd's pie as a kid (why I didn't just get the recipe from my mom, I don't know) and had been wanting to make it ever since. Well, this month, I finally did!

I'm not sure what makes it "American" because it turns out very similar to the shepherd's pie I once had at an Irish pub. Cheesy mashed potatoes on top and a soupy vegetable and beef filling underneath. I would say that my mom's recipe could qualify as "American" because hers isn't soupy. I'll have to get the recipe from her and make it some time. Until then...

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion (optional)
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 10.5-ounce can condensed vegetable soup (I actually bought a chunky veggie soup and just added some water to it b/c all the condensed veggie soup contained pasta noodles or barley...)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 cups mashed cooked potatoes
1 cup shredded Colby longhorn cheese (but I assume you could use cheddar if you wanted)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 2-quart baking dish.

2. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, stir and cook ground beef, onion (optional), and celery until juices run clear. Drain. Pour mixture into baking dish with vegetable soup and thyme. Stir well. Spread mashed potatoes on top.

3. Bake 20 minutes. Sprinkle shredded cheese on top and bake 5 more minutes, or until cheese has melted.



Now doesn't that look like the face of someone happy to eat this meal? Okay, so it's my face and a bit bias, but I was happy about this and it tasted so good! It's a very easy and very filling meal to make.

Tonight, however, it's all about the german meatballs and rice. I'm making it in honor of my birthday (which is in three days) and I can't wait! What are you making tonight? For the holidays? Whatever it is, enjoy it and stay crafty!

Comments