The Full Moon Coffee Shop Book Review

On a full moon night, a cafe appears to those who need it. The Full Moon Coffee Shop, which was published by Ballantine Books last month, follows five characters as they struggle with their jobs, their love lives, and more, only to find all the answers to happiness after eating and drinking at The Full Moon Coffee Shop. Which is run by cats.


Sound a little weird? When I started reading my free e-ARC of this very short novel, I didn't really know what to expect. It sounded interesting when I first heard about it at the Reading Group Guides Book Group Speed Dating session earlier this year. 

Originally written by Mai Mochizuki and translated by Jesse Kirkwood, the book could read like an ad for astrology. "Want to fix your life? Just have your stars read! By cats!"

The book is heavy on dialogue with little action. And at times, the dialogue felt very stiff. This could, of course, be because of the translation. 

I did appreciate how the characters' lives were interwoven, and I do find astrology interesting. (Blame it on listening to the memoir All Signs Point to Paris.) I just felt like the novel was too short for me to really get to know the characters, and everything was quickly all tidy in the end.

Comments