4 Scrapbooking Ideas

I've been scrapbooking for more than 15 years. Were my early scrapbook layouts pretty basic? Yes. Has my style evolved over the years? Oh yeah. I've been inspired so much by the online scrapbook community. My hope is that this blog inspires you with scrapbooking ideas. 

But maybe you still aren't sure how to get started. You like the idea of scrapbooking, but you don't know what to do or how to make great pages like the ones you've seen online.


Today I'm sharing four never-before-seen scrapbook examples along with four easy techniques to get you started making a scrapbook. You can also find five more techniques on the Zulily blog!

Grid Design

When in doubt, create a grid. It doesn't matter if you have two, three, or more photos. Line them all up in a grid and embellish from there. On this layout, I only had three photos. I cropped them down to the same size as the "selfie time" card, and created a grid out of those four elements. Then I added embellishments along the diagonal of the page.


Work the Diagonal

As mentioned above, it's easy to know where to place embellishments (stickers, paper die-cuts, enamel dots, etc.) if you just follow the diagonal. (You're actually going to see this a lot on the layouts I'm sharing today because that is my go-to technique/style.)

On this layout, I did a little mixed media with misting spray (more on that below) and placed my photo on top of that. From there, I grabbed a variety of different embellishments, creating clusters at opposite corners of the photos, and then extending more embellishments on the diagonal line.


Create Your Own Mixed Media Background

Grab a sheet of white cardstock (preferably Vicki Boutin Foundation Paper) and go to town spraying on misting spray, stamping your favorite stamp, or painting with watercolors. A lot of people think mixed media is hard, but as long as you keep an open mind and allow yourself to play, there really is no right or wrong way to do it! 

On this layout, which I made during a Paper Issues LIVE, I used bubble wrap and Shimmerz misting spray to create a textured mixed media background.


I simply sprayed a square piece of regular bubble wrap and then stamped the bubble wrap onto my cardstock. As you can see, I kept my mixed media on the diagonal and built up the rest of my layout (patterned paper, photo, embellishments) along that same line.

Play with Shapes

Another technique as you're thinking of scrapbook page ideas is to use shapes. Our photos are printed out in rectangles, right? But what if you cut the photo into a circle? What if you used a paper punch to make hexagons? What if you cut patterned paper into a triangle?


On this layout, I used my Spellbinders die-cut machine to cut my photos down to circles, and then I used my small circle paper punches to punch circles out of different patterned paper. I also pulled circle embellishments to help accentuate the photo circles.

These are just a few scrapbook examples to inspire you on your scrapbooking journey. If you need more scrapbooking ideas, make sure you're following the blog, my Instagram, and my YouTube channel. Happy scrapping!

Comments