Reverse Junk Mail Envelopes - National Craft Month


It's time again for another installment of Get Crafty for National Craft Month! This week I'm sharing a very easy hack. Is it a craft? Well, it used up some of my washi tape supply. So that's crafty, right?

Over on my Get Crafty Pinterest board, I saved a pin for recycling junk mail envelopes by turning them inside out and taping them back together with washi tape!


You can see the original pin here. It doesn't include a tutorial or anything, so this was one that I had to figure out for myself. But it was pretty simple, and I'm sure that you have a bunch of junk mail lying around your house just waiting to be shredded or recycled or whatever it is you do with it.

I always set our junk mail aside in a pile, envelopes and all, to be shredded. Luckily, I'm very behind on my paper shredding, so I had several envelopes ready and waiting to be transformed.


The envelopes that are more papery were a little harder to cleanly slice open. But once I got my finger in there, as long as I took it slow, things were fine. And don't worry if you get a rip or a tear. You've got washi tape! Just decor that bad boy back together.

The envelopes that were slick-feeling definitely opened up a lot cleaner, but I think I only had one or two of those in my pile.

Also, I used all the envelopes, even the ones with the plastic windows. For some of those, I covered the plastic with washi tape, but either way, I'm just going to end up covering the plastic window with the address label.

One other note - these are regular envelopes, not note card envelopes, so it will limit what you're able to fit inside. Maybe this is a great opportunity to type up a letter to a friend! Or handwrite a letter! Or just send over a tiny note card to let someone know you are thinking of them.

What are you getting crafty with this month? Share some fun craft projects in the comments!

Comments