How I Save Money on Groceries with Ibotta

A few years ago I wrote a blog post about how I save money. I still use the GroceryIQ app, but that's really only because it organizes my grocery list by category and makes the physical shopping trip quicker and easier. I also still use MyPoints, though not as much as I should. Coupons.com doesn't really come in handy anymore. Nothing we buy ever has a coupon! I've also stopped using eRewards because I kept forgetting to take the surveys and my "currency" expired.


So in order to save money, I shop the grocery store circular to buy things that are on sale. And I use the Ibotta app.

I first heard about Ibotta in a magazine round-up of helpful grocery shopping apps. I decided to check them all out, and Ibotta was the one I downloaded and started using. It took awhile for me to get into it, making it a habit before and after each grocery trip. But that's what I do now! Plus, I can use it with more than just grocery store retailers. It also comes in handy when shopping online! There are so many ways to earn cash back with Ibotta.

So here's how it works. When I create my grocery list, I take a look at what manufacturers have cash-back options at my local grocery store through the Ibotta app. I usually look for things that I'm going to buy anyway, but occasionally, I will make an exception for something if the cash back deal is good. Make sure you pay attention to what the products are and how many of each product you have to purchase in order to be eligible for the reward. Then I do my shopping and bring home my receipt. I scan the receipt into the app and scan necessary barcodes for the products that I bought. Ibotta then puts cash into my account.

I even do a double-check after grocery shopping to see if something I purchased got added. Hey, you never know!



So then what do you do after the cash has been added to your account? You get to redeem that cash for gift cards! In the two years I've used Ibotta, I've earned $121.79! (Could have been more if I had really been using it diligently from the beginning.) And I've redeemed for multiple gift cards to Amazon, Starbucks, and Old Navy.

What's great about redeeming your cash through Ibotta is that you only need $20 in your account to redeem, and if you have $20 that equals a $20 gift card. I've participated in many rewards programs over the years, and none of them have such a 1:1 reward system! I love that about Ibotta.

So that's how I've been saving money and earning gift cards lately!

If you want to check out Ibotta, sign up and use my referral code: ttisuux.

Comments