Pinterest Valentine's Day Activities Your Toddler Won't Like

Valentine's Day is next week! Cue heart-themed arts & crafts and activities for the kiddos!

I literally turn to Pinterest for all of my "kid" ideas. But can I ask a serious question? Who are these "moms" and "kids" in all of these activity idea posts? Because half the time, I read a mom writing that her kids LOVED this activity and spent so long doing it. And then I try it with my own kid, and she's over it in 30 seconds.


It's REALLY hard to compete right now with my daughter's beloved Buzz Lightyear action figure. She literally said that he was her second dad the other morning. Okay...

So, to save you some time, here are a few Valentine's Day activities that you'll probably see and pin on Pinterest but maybe aren't worth your time.

1. Heart Scavenger Hunt from The Eyes of a Boy 
She was not interested in doing this, which was weird because she's been really into "finding treasure in caves" just like in Aladdin. So I tried to play this up as finding heart treasure and putting the hearts into her special bucket. A meltdown ensued. I'm pretty sure she ended up in a time-out.



2. Heart Stamping from Craftulate 
I saved a toilet paper roll and squeezed it into a heart shape to create a "stamp". When I told my daughter we were going to paint, she got all excited. She loves painting! But when I showed her what we were doing, she had a meltdown. "I want a paintbrush! I want a paintbrush right now!" So I gave her a paintbrush, which she used to paint red strokes on paper, her hands, and her arm, and I stamped the hearts to at least show you what this activity was supposed to look like.


3. Shaker Paint Hearts from Sunny Day Family and No Time for Flashcards 
This one had pretty good results, although there wasn't much hands-on play for my daughter. I had already cut out the hearts and put them in a mason jar. I squirted the paint in there, and she helped me pour in some dried beans. She did like shaking the jar!



I had to retrieve the paper hearts from the mason jar, which were wet with paint, and lay them out to dry. (Maybe use parchment paper, so the paint doesn't stick to newspaper.)


I did manage to get my daughter to sit down and create some Valentine's Day cards, but she was more into attaching Trolls stickers to the cards instead of these cool hearts that we made.

What have been your biggest kid-related Pinterest fails?

We did do a few other activities that were more successful, but I'll share those in a separate post. Stay tuned!

And for more Valentine's Day ideas (good and bad - you may have better luck!), check out my Valentine's Day Pinterest board!

Comments