Gluten-Free Pumpkin Turkey Chili

If Starbucks says it, then it's true. September 1 is truly the beginning of the fall season because it heralds the return of the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Be still my heart.

And, also, how the heck are we in September already?

Don't get me wrong. I love fall. Fall is my favorite season. Crisp, cool air. The changing colors of the leaves. All the different fall activities, from corn mazes to pumpkin patches. And, of course, eating and drinking all things pumpkin. But this year has gone by so quickly. I almost have an 18-month-old!

I also have a Pumpkin Pinterest Board with lots of recipes involving pumpkin and other fall-like ingredients. You should totally check it out. I know I am! This fall, I'm making it my goal to actually make some of the stuff that I've pinned in that board. I want to enjoy it all and get into the spirit of the season!

So I started with this: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Turkey Chili.



The original recipe is called Pumpkin Chili, and it comes from Fitness magazine. It's a healthier chili recipe that uses black beans, bulgur, tomatoes, and pumpkin puree. I changed it up for two reasons. 1. I needed it to be gluten-free, so instead of using bulgur in the chili, I used millet. 2. I can't do chili without meat, so I added in one pound of ground turkey.

Because I had to cook the turkey first, it took a little bit longer than 30 minutes to make, but I think it was well worth it. I mean, I enjoyed it, my husband enjoyed it (he had seconds), and even the baby ate it!



The flavor is a little bit spicy and a little bit sweet. It's not too overpowering of either one. I was a little worried about adding in an adobo pepper because it seemed like that would make this chili too spicy, but it really didn't!


We served ours with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt on top and some Tostito's Cantina Thin and Crispy chips on the side. I really like those chips because they are nice and light, and just perfectly salted. They aren't as heavy as traditional Tostito's.

Anyway, that's our introduction into the fall season! What's yours?

Comments